Friday, February 8, 2013

NEW YORK FASHION WEEK BEGINS: TOME Fall/Winter 2013 Presentation...

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for." -- Georgia O'Keeffe


Georgia O'Keeffe 
The Tome Fall/Winter Presentation was my kickoff for New York Fashion Week, an event held twice a year in February and September where fashion designers present their collection for the upcoming season. 

As a lover of art history, I appreciate Tome's reference to O'Keeffe's art as an influence for this season's line.  Tome writes, "This season we are inspired by the life and art of this American legend. Her flowers, bones and sky come to life in shapes that sit free from the body, whilst others cocoon.  We are influenced by O'Keeffe's uncompromising vision and her obsession with light and shade.  It is the purity and humility of her output and her existence that resonates with us."









I was expecting a fashion show like you'd see on TV where A-list celebrities are craning their necks for a last glance at something they are sure to be photographed in the coming months. This, however, was much different.  The models stood motionless in an artful yet militaristic arrangement in a  beautifully lit and simple background - much like an O'Keeffe still life - so as not to distract from the feature object, the ensemble.





The fresh yet sleek contemporary designs were linear in their construction but the layering of fabrics and textures added to its depth, again much like O'Keeffe's work.  The fluidity of several pieces are well suited for the curvy girl who is looking for a modern silhouette. But you can't be too curvaceous - this is still a NY designer (did I say that).








Overall, I enjoyed the minimalism coupled with the muted tones that look easy to wear. I'm glad I discovered this designer and am looking forward to what next season's collection has to offer.



Peace and Blessings,
Tammy


No comments:

Post a Comment